- And, we support the six point National Democratic Party vision of
- Honest Leadership and Open Government
- Real Security
- Energy Independence
- Economic Prosperity and Educational Excellence
- A Healthcare System that Works for Everyone
- Retirement Security
We adopt this platform to ensure that voters and candidates for public office understand and support our goals.
A. Economics: Democrats believe that economic justice is the foundation for healthy communities, healthy families, and a prosperous nation and world.
- Policies that will reverse the growing gap between rich and poor and stop the downward trend in workers’ wages.
- Economic policies and business practices that promote the creation of living-wage jobs.
- The rights of all employees to organize and to bargain collectively and to use mediation or strikes when necessary to resolve disputes.
- Making the minimum wage a living wage.
- The creation of sustainable, economic growth that does not damage our environment.
- Affordable and low-income housing, with emphasis on home ownership.
- Affordable, quality daycare available to all parents.
- The protection of Social Security and Medicare funds for their intended purposes.
- The creation and funding of a federal program to repair and expand the nation’s infrastructure.
- A balanced federal budget.
- The privatization of Social Security and other entitlement programs.
- The privatization of public-sector jobs.
- The “outsourcing” of American jobs overseas.
- The hiring of permanent replacement workers by employers during a legal strike by their employees.
- The deregulation of utilities.
- Deficit spending.
B. Governance: Democrats work for efficient, responsive government based on sound fiscal practices. We believe in open government and civic involvement.
- A federal government in which all three branches exercise their duties and provide a system of checks and balances as provided by the U.S. Constitution.
- A government that provides services that strengthen our communities and support the needs of all citizens.
- A single-payer health care program for all citizens.
- A progressive tax system at all levels of government.
- A government that streamlines public services to make agencies more flexible, responsive and efficient.
- Accountability and transparency in all contracts for public works projects.
- Full public disclosure of all government activities; including the adoption of a Code of Ethics and Conflict of Interest disclosure for all elected officials, employees, appointed boards, commissions, and citizen advisory committees.
- Transparency of all foreign owners and debt holders of US properties and businesses.
- Restrictions on former state and federal elected officials from lobbying for 4 years after leaving office
- The monopolization of the media because a fully informed electorate is the foundation of a democracy.
C. Human Rights: Democrats reaffirm our commitment to civil, equal, and human rights. We believe that citizens, not government, are the proper custodians of our moral and spiritual beliefs.
- The separation of church and state.
- Affording complete equality throughout society without regard to race, nation of origin, language, religion, age, gender, sexual orientation, gender identification, and/or disability.
- Equal access to employment, housing, and lending institutions.
- Affirmative action and other civil rights remedies for those who have suffered discrimination.
- The principle of equal access to health care for everyone without regard to ability to pay. This care includes long-term care, prescription drugs, optical and auditory aids, mental and dental health treatment, family planning, women’s reproductive rights, and access to prenatal health care.
- The right to confidentiality of medical records and genetic information.
- The worldwide elimination of the causes of economic migration.
- Civil marriage equality for same-sex couples.
- Responsible, compassionate medical research.
- Public educational institutions divulging personal, private student information without written permission, including to the military and military recruiters.
D. Education: It is the paramount duty of the state to make ample provision for the education of all children. Washington State Constitution, 1889.
- Adequate public funding of education at all levels, preschool through university, which strengthens our democracy and our ability to compete in the global economy.
- The doctrine of separation of church and state in all publicly funded schools.
- Universal access to high quality education in clean, safe schools for all children and young people.
- Job preparation and vocational skills training for all secondary students.
- Retraining programs for adult workers.
- Readily available financial aid for those attending college and university or vocational programs.
- Simple majority elections for school bonds, and protection of the simple majority for school levies.
- Full state funding for public schools and full federal funding for federal mandates.
- Sex education that is comprehensive, medically accurate and age-appropriate.
- The use of public funding for private education, directly or through vouchers.
- The erosion of the rights of education workers at all levels to organize and bargain collectively.
- E. Environment: Democrats believe all people, including future generations, have the right to clean air and water, uncontaminated food, and a healthy natural environment. We believe that both long-term economic stability and a healthy environment rest on farsighted planning.
- Government action necessary to ensure the preservation of ecosystems and functions, with environmentally sustainable practices.
- Restoration and cleanup of all contaminated and/or depleted public and private lands and water.
- Public policy that preserves old growth trees in our national forests and parks, wildlife, and environmentally sensitive areas.
- Development and use of renewable natural sources of power.
- Balancing the preservation of the rural character, health and safety, and quality of life enjoyed
- Safe access to highways, roads, and public thoroughfares for all citizens.
- Increased funding at all levels of government for public transportation.
- Societal and governmental action to reduce those human practices known to harm our natural world and contribute to climate change.
- New development and growth at the cost of environmental degradation.
F. Foreign Policy: Democrats pursue foreign policies that genuinely reflect the Democratic Party priorities and values.
- Respect for the rights of indigenous people, workers, and women.
- Responsible stewardship of natural resources.
- Responsible regulation of transnational corporations.
- Focusing our political energy and will on peace and justice.
- Participation and dues-paying by all members, including the United States, in the United Nations and other organizations that promote international law and defend human rights.
- International efforts to provide universal, free public education.
- Family planning that allows all peoples to make informed choices about family size.
- Withdrawal from NAFTA, CAFTA and the WTO to be replaced by fair trade agreements, conditioned on workers’ rights, human rights, and environmental principles.
- Preemptive wars.
- Use of nuclear weaponry.
- Any treatment of any person in custody in or outside the United States that does not adhere to the Geneva Conventions.
Last Updated:Thursday June 22, 2008